Over 285,000 organisations around the world have been certified to the standard and many others besides, who have chosen to develop self-certified systems. The big news is that the current standard (2004 revision) is currently undergoing a significant revision. The publication of the new standard will introduce new challenges and opportunities to increase economic and environmental benefits.
Some of the key changes being made to the standard include:
- A complete new structure based upon ISO’s Higher Level Structure (HLS). This is a common structure to be used across all standards and will introduce new sections and definitions;
- A strengthening of the relationship between an EMS and the core workings of organisations;
- Requirement to consider environmental performance in organisations strategic planning process;
- A tightening up of requirements placed on top management involvement;
- Consideration to be given to risks and opportunities (i.e. climate change adaption, resource security and scarcity);
- Managing impacts across the whole value chain using a life cycle perspective (i.e. consideration given to procurement of goods and services);
- Extension of the requirements to evaluate compliance (i.e. specify frequency and show knowledge and understanding); and
- Ensuring the quality and credibility of environmental information.
Timeframe & Transition
The revised standard is likely to be published mid-2015. Companies certified under the current standard will likely be given 3 years from the date of publication to comply with the newly published standard.
How can RSK help?
RSK has a long and successful history of working with a broad spectrum of organisations in the development and implementation of EMS and integration with other management systems. Our EMS experts and compliance teams across the UK can support you and your organisation in:
- The development of EMS (i.e. ISO 14001, EMAS, BS 8555);
- Management review and gap analysis against the new standard and best practice;
- Legislative compliance services including RSK’s web based legal portal, allowing regular updating of legal registers and compliance obligations;
- Internal auditing services as part of an audit programme or pre-certification audit; and
- Training services, both bespoke and IEMA-registered courses.
For further information, contact:
Alison Brough: firstname.lastname@example.org (Tel: +44 (0)1928 726006 / Mob: +44 (0)7917 425259)
RSK Group plc has held certification to the ISO 9001, ISO 14001 and OHSAS 18001 standards for quality, environmental and health and safety management across its operations since 2003.