Understanding the ground, soil and subsurface is vital to a project's development. We have the tools to offer you a holistic vision of your project and minimise the risk of unforeseen ground conditions.
Using the latest geophysical equipment and processing and visualisation software, we are able to provide key information not available through other methods.
Mapping, surveying and site investigation are in-house capabilities at RSK. Our chartered geophysicists have routine experience of applying state-of-the art geophysical instrumentation to identify subsurface variations associated with both man-made and natural environments.
We employ a range of techniques that include magnetic surveying, electromagnetic ground conductivity, seismic refraction, microgravity, borehole geophysics, surface wave ground stiffness, and ground penetrating radar. We are also experienced in a range of applications, including archaeology, urban and brownfield sites, buried utility mapping, geological surveys, landfill and contamination mapping, non-destructive testing for structures and buildings, topographic surveys, and voids and soft ground work.
Bespoke service, tailored projects
Our client list is as varied as our project portfolio. Our specialists wrote the United Nations standard operating procedures for the deployment of geophysical techniques during an on-site inspection under the Comprehensive Nuclear Test Ban Treaty. We continue to work with the UN on technology development and training exercises.
We helped draft PAS 128 ’Specification for underground utility detection, verification and location’, and the 2015 revision of the geophysical sections of BS 5930 ’Code of Practice for Site Investigations’.
We have mapped pipeline and extraction sites for Shell. We have created topographic surveys for BP. The UK Environment Agency and Sainsbury’s are both repeat clients.
Contact one of our specialists to see how we can help with your project.
- SafeGround utility mapping and unexploded ordnance detection
- Topographic and land surveying
- Seismic risk assessments
- Site appraisals, geotechnical and hydrogeological characterisation and design parameters, including for Eurocode 7: Geotechnical Design
- Excavation, earthworks and slope engineering
- Ground improvement and soil stabilisation
- Stabilisation of natural and man-made cavities, and shallow mine workings
- Piling mat, support system and other temporary works design
- Foundation, basement and retaining wall engineering
- 2D and 3D ground deformation modelling and movement prediction
- Ground and soil-structure instrumentation and monitoring
- Directional drilling feasibility studies, ground characterisation and route alignment selection
- Pipeline and tunnel route evaluation, ground characterisation and engineering
- Subsidence engineering and underpinning design
- Seismic risk assessment, monitoring and engineering design
- Custom map production
- Environmental constraints and zones of visual influence mapping
- Off-the-shelf GIS software
- Bespoke software development
- GPS surveying
- Terrain modelling
- Mapping and imagery
- GIS user and software training
- 3D visualisations
- Web-based system development
- Aerial and video surveillance
- Integrated information presentation
- Database design and management