The significant expansion of UK and EU air pollution legislation reflects the expanding role that air quality plays in our lives. It can directly influence land portfolio valuations, masterplan designs and the success of planning and permitting applications.
Likewise, industry is faced with an increasingly complex range of regulations, legislation and guidance. This includes the relatively recent Medium Combustion Plant Directive (MCPD) for the regulation of plants with 1–50 MW thermal input. The Conservation of Habitats and Species Regulations stipulate appropriate assessments to demonstrate that the proposed operation will not adversely affect the integrity of the ecologically sensitive sites.
At RSK, our thorough understanding of air quality issues, range of technical experts and extensive project portfolio provide us with the insight to assist you in gaining commercial advantage and operational flexibility.
Our air quality team is based in the UK. However, we work extensively across Europe, Central Asia and the Middle East. This enables us to provide tailored, top-quality solutions to any location. In addition, our experts couple their scientific qualifications with industry experience to deliver value-added solutions to your business.
We understand the regulatory environment, we understand your business and, most importantly, we are experts with our monitoring tools and evaluation devices.
With a portfolio of projects from a range of clients, our industry experience includes property and construction, transport and infrastructure. We have specialist knowledge and experience in different sectors including aviation, highways, rail, ports, waste management, and oil and gas. We are well prepared to deliver the results you need.
Our key air quality and related services
- Road traffic emissions modelling, for example, to inform planning applications/environmental impact assessment (EIA) studies
- Boundary dust monitoring at demolition/construction sites to fulfil planning conditions
- Real-time ambient air quality monitoring, including diffusion tube monitoring for nitrogen dioxide and other gaseous pollutants
- Air quality monitoring and assessment support for land remediation projects
- Odour dispersion modelling and measurement, for example, near waste generation facilities and properties near odour-generating sources
- Air quality neutral assessments
- Low emission strategies
- Estimation of damage costs/Section 106 contributions
Environmental permitting support
- MCPD-related air quality and permitting support
- Industrial emissions modelling (combined heat and power plants, energy centres)
- Large-scale industrial plants emissions modelling, air quality monitoring and assessments to inform permit applications/permit variation applications
- Best available techniques (BAT) support, stack height assessment and cost–benefit analysis
- Air quality support for nationally significant infrastructure projects such as wind farms and large energy installations including nuclear
- Nuclear/radioactive material releases, for example, energy-from-waste and waste incineration plants – modelling and air quality appraisal assessments
Indoor air quality/occupational expose/workplace exposure assessments
- Workplace/occupational exposure monitoring and assessments
- Indoor air quality assessments (homes, offices etc.) to investigate sickness symptoms
Odour monitoring and assessment support
- Odour assessments in support of planning applications related to sewage treatment works, and poultry and pig farms
- Odour monitoring including sniff tests, on-site odour monitoring using Tedlar bags, Lindvall sampling hood and stack testing methods
Ammonia impact assessments
- Screening, for example, using SCAIL tools, and detailed assessments for pig and poultry farms, for example, to support Industrial Emissions Directive applications, EIAs or Appropriate Assessments
- Ambient monitoring for ammonia
- Assessment for BREEAM credits – indoor air quality plans and testing for new builds
Local authority support
- Support relating to air quality management areas, dispersion modelling, air quality monitoring, progress reports, and reviewing and assessing reports
- Advice on policy matters, including low emission strategies
- Review of planning applications
Bioaerosol monitoring and assessments
- Bioaerosol sampling
- Risk assessments
Due diligence and legal support
- Due diligence support
- Expert witness and legal support