Companies and individuals with responsibility for premises must control the risks posed by legionella bacteria as set out in health and safety legislation. These bacteria have the potential to cause legionellosis, a group of diseases with pneumonia-like symptoms, the most serious of which is Legionnaires’ disease, which can be fatal in susceptible individuals.
Legionella bacteria are present in low concentrations in natural watercourses but once introduced into water systems such as water storage cisterns (tanks), pipework and other plant they can, under certain conditions, multiply to high numbers and, if breathed in, , through water droplets in the form of an aerosol, they have the potential to cause disease.
Those managing premises have duties to ensure the risk posed by legionella is assessed (the ‘legionella risk assessment’) and a scheme put in place to manage and control this risk. This can include regular inspection and monitoring and a water treatment regime.
RSK offers a comprehensive legionella management service including initial assessment, management of remedial works, ongoing monitoring and inspection, advising on design and installation of new plant and services and incident management. Our consultants have a vast range of experience working in domestic, healthcare, commercial and industrial premises and bring knowledge of a variety of solutions to the management of water systems.
We are registered with the Legionella Control Association for the provision of legionella risk assessments, monitoring and inspection services, cleaning and disinfection services, independent consultancy services, training and legionella analytical services.
- Legionella and water hygiene risk assessments for domestic hot and cold water systems, cooling water systems including cooling towers and process and other systems;
- Electronic risk assessment and log-book systems to facilitate management across multiple sites and large property portfolios;
- Ongoing inspection and monitoring to ensure risks remain controlled and that any issues are identified and rectified;
- Legionella analytical services and sampling and analysis of water for a variety of systems, including swimming pools, spa baths, hot tubs, process waters; interpretation of results, with the analysis being completed by an independent UKAS accredited laboratory;
- Project management of remedial works, including tank cleaning and chlorination, hot water vessel acid de-scaling or full system disinfection;
- Independent consultancy for water treatment and hygiene solutions. We are not a manufacturer or retailer of any product therefore can offer truly impartial advice on the best solutions for your site;
- Provision of legionella awareness and responsible person training at your premises or our network of local offices;
- Design of policies, procedures and control schemes for the ongoing management of risk;
- Advice on the design of water systems for new-build or refurbishment projects to reduce legionella risk and promote good water hygiene; and
- Auditing: due diligence, legal compliance and system compliance audits to identify areas of strength and weakness and provide clear recommendations for the actions required.